Friday, December 12, 2008

A little theme - cilantro and lime


Inspired by talk of sweet potato and black bean quesadila while visiting A and B, and then being blessed to find organic black beans at the health food store by work, I went to town on pulling together my first baked quesadila.(One must also mention the constant quesadila magic going on in Jenifer's Vegan and Musing kitchen as a source of inspiration)

In the end I got a little wacky and even experimented with a Tofutti Chive and Herb cream cheese, which I blended with an organic avocado. I used this as a bottom spread, before piling the potato and bean mix into the middle of the tortilla shell. Sadly, I have to report that I had to go for run of the mill white flour tortilla shells (might try making my own this weekend). Despite the white bread component of these babies, they were everything I had been dreaming of once sparked by A's conversation about her little meal. Ohhhh! I also made a lime and cilantro rice dish. The picture doesn't look great, but the tastes were brilliant.


This week's experimentation didn't stop on Tuesday night! Last night we roasted up some red potatoes and enjoyed them with some yummy, never-before-eaten, seitan steaks. After my wild home made seitan experience of Thanksgiving, I decided to go store bought for last night's meal and save the flour shower for weekend kitchen fun. They were actually really yummy. I made a quick and easy Tomato and Cilantro Salad, and we tried - again, for the first time, Rice Mayo. It was surprisingly super yummy. I am not sure if it was the cilantro and lime I added to the plain mayo, but, my goodness, it added a nice creamy zing to our meal.


I was even more industrious than that (I love you second trimester)! I even managed to get around to making my lunch for today - and I just can't wait to sink my teeth into the baked sweet potato and tofu cubes I made last night. I marinated the whole lot in soy sauce, rice vinegar and a touch of sesame oil. Looking forward to lunch time.


I am so pumped about this weekend...we are staying HOME! No travel, no trips, just home time. I have an uber long list, that I might get through a quarter of, but I can't wait to get out and hang in the hood. I am also looking forward to doing some christmas shopping for my family. Even though I won't be making the trip home, Kim has kindly offered to play Santa and hull some presents over to Hamilton with her when she heads on the 17th.

I have giant menu plans of having a sushi weekend, and attempting to make Alice's yummy looking rice balls of a few weeks ago! I am also dying to make a big vegan breakfast, complete with sausages, tofu scramble and (MORE!) potatoes (my dad would be so proud of me).

I hope everyone out in Blogland is finding this holiday season easypeezy and stress free? Have a wonderful weekend!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I *heart* coriander! Your food all looks totally delicious!

Lauren said...

Everything looks wonderful! Have a great weekend, staying in! :)

jessy said...

that's one tasty theme! mmmmmm! you've been creating so many yummies - they all look spectacular & tasty! the spread sounds soooooo delightful - and the seitan steaks & red potatoes look wonderful! i love the sweet potatoes & tofu, too! i wish i were having that for my lunch!

rice balls, sushi, shopping, & staying at home all sound like a plan for a great weekend! enjoy!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Experimentation is always fun in the kitchen!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

mmm, cilantro and lime are magical magical things! and yes please those quesadillas, for some reason they just sound perfect with that cream cheese and everything, yum. :P

Anonymous said...

You can get tofutti stuff? You lucky lady! Oh, the testing kitchen! I just love making quesadillas, and eating them of course!

Unknown said...

Oh, it all looks so yummy. I found some organic black beans too; but ended up with making a chili with them. Next time I'll try your quesadila.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Fabulous experimentation results! Experimentation is so much fun! I love winging it and testing different things. Though they don't always work out, the process is still fun!

Hope you enjoyed your awesome weekend at home!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Ole!

Sometimes staying home is the best :o)

Anonymous said...

Hooray for a weekend home. I hope you are able to cross some things off your list and make up some delish food (although by the looks of your earlier posted food, you certainly don't need time off in order to concoct yumminess)!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog from What Do Vegans Eat? Your food looks great!! Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Glad you get to stay home!! I know the feeling of finally having a free weekend. It's great :-)