Thursday, November 02, 2006

Ten Cent Magnificent!
Now there is a title for an email.
Actually it is a title for an email.
The email is in my inbox. Thanks Crackerjack.

Well, my fate is to be decided tomorrow. I just wish that it was over and I had the burn of too much interview chatter already spread across my cheeks.

Okay - I think I need to dedicate my next few postings to one of my favourite meals of the day -
Breakfast. I love you breakfast.

Having had my allotment of sleep (sometimes 10 - 5 30, sometimes 12 - 6 - really depends on the amount of BattleStar Gallactica I had access to), I love love love to wake up and feel the hungries exploding in my tummy. One of the really wonderful realities of being vegan is just how hungry sleeping can make me. When I was still dinning on milk, butter and every bite of cheese I could score I would wake up and often still feel full from the night before. Granted, this is more a sign of eating too late, too much and too gross - but none the less, this is a feeling that (for the most part - see any night that involves popcorn) has left me since giving up dairy and eggers.
So - I wake up with the power-hungries having taken over my gut and I find myself rushing through the VERY necessary first step of putting on the kettle. I want and need my breakfast, but I want and REALLY need my tea. But after the tea activation comes the anticipation...ohhh...what is it going to be......what will I do? what will I create? what will I bring to a slow simmer while adding a touch of vanilla?
Here are some of my breakfast favourites. Pictures to follow tomorrow morning -

1. Irish/Scottish or Conventional Oatmeal. Oh my god, this is the best. Just the best.
1/4 cup of oats, 1 cup of water, some vanilla, some cocoa, a tablespoon of flaxseeds and if you have it, a decadent addition of any (or all) of the following - banana, blueberries, figs (this morning) or dates.
The prep is soooo simple - throw oats and water in a small pot (the red non-stick from Ikea is fashionable and functional), bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and add all of your extra love and goodness. At this point you might also want to add soya, rice or almond milk - it adds sweetness and smoothies it out a wee bit.

2. Pants not done up smoothie - this is for the mornings when I have only just managed to jump from the bed, into the shower, into a pair of pants, and into the kitchen with oh...tee minus 30 minutes until class.....
All you need is: 1 cup of soya or rice milk, vanilla, strawberries and a banana.....hello mr. handblender. DO it ---- you know what I am talking about. All the way! Whir that puppy up and there you have it....you can drink your smoothie with one hand and finish pulling up your stockings with the other!

3. Scramble Me Tender: Okay - no eggs. just fu!
1/2 block of medium or extra firm tofu, some tumeric, some onion, some garlic and any other ingredient you would like to add to this little masterpiece.
Start with some olive oil in a non-stick pan and add your chopped onion. When the room is fragrant with the promises of your fresh breath, add the tofu and the rest of your ingredients. Move it all around in the pan until you have something that looks like tofu scramble. Done! Yum.

4, Don't forget Buckwheat. I think the big B will be my preinterview energy for tomorrow morning - with a touch of hempseed protein.

No comments: