Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Ewan and Nicole.....so dreamy.....

I can hear the tinklings of THE best movie of all time...okay, maybe not THE best movie, but pretty close to the highest peak of my stars and moon list of things that make me feel all girlie, silly and bursting with potential tears and other emotional consequences....get ready -

that's right Emily, you guessed: Moulin Rouge.

I don't know what it is. A more cerebral and grad-school part of me knows that they might revoke my degrees if I fess up to being enamored with this film...but honestly, maybe it is the sequins in nicole's dress or the look of longing in good ol' ewan's eyes. Or perhaps it is the medley of madonna, U2 and David Bowie that does it to me. An answer is not what I seek - but to be left to enjoy!!! The entire soundtrack is also a good accompaniment for a long run.

So in honour of Moulin Rogue let's have a little red in tonight's menu.

My cabbage soup will do. I went through it quite quickly - it is so nice and warm, the little hint of curry adds a great depth to the flavour that is often missing with cabbage. Not to mention the kick it gives to the otherwise boring aesthetic.

1/2 of a green cabbage (you can use the red cabbage, but look out -- you end of with a soup that looks like an alien cocktail)
1 large onion (diced)
1 large head of garlic (maybe too much for you? these should be peeled and sliced)
2 zucchini (cut up in 1 inch pieces)
1/2 of a cauliflower (pulled apart into little trees)
1 green pepper (cut and diced)
1 large carrot (shredded)

2 can of tomatoes
3 - 6 cups of water (your choice)
2 tablespoons of curry power
2 tablespoons of black pepper
1 tablespoon of mustard seeds
3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar

I prefer to avoid the oil in this recipe and I sweat the onions with a little bit of water and some of the juice from the tomatoes. Add the mustard seed once the onion becomes translucent. The mustard seeds will start to pop and you can start to either 1. add the vegetables and let them fry themselves up a bit or 2. add the tomatoes, vinegar and the spices. Let this mixture warm up a wee bit and than feel free to add all of your veggies into the pot. Stir and begin to add the water until you are left with nothing but a pot of simmering soup and a couple of dirty dishes.

The longer you leave this soup the yummier it gets.

The vegan cookie gifts I received yesterday at the end of characters and culture went ever so nicely with my warm before-bed soy milk. All three varieties!!!

No comments: