Monday, July 02, 2007

Angry 'Coon Curry

I had a weekend guest who concocted the most beautiful vegan meal I have ever had the pure joy of putting to my lips. The entire dish, from consistency and flavour, to presentation and texture, was perfectly perfect.

Having only been left in charge of the odd wok stirring, and the consistent replenishing of our wine cups, my rendition of the recipe will be flawed, but I couldn't deny the world the posting of this world-altering union of taste.

Angry 'Coon Curry
(the 'Coon who I speak of was hiding in the roof of my porch during the preparation of the dish. He became so incensed with being unable to partake in the goodness of the vittles that he proceeded to literally RIP down the ceiling and throw the SLATES of wood to the ground)

4 portobello mushrooms (heads snapped off and gently washed)
2 large cooking onions (cut into chunks of approx. 2cm squared)
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 can of chick peas
1 can of black peas

cumin
coriander
yellow curry powder
salt
pepper (in a dead puppy pepper grinder)
some funny little black seed (THAT I THOUGHT WAS MUSTARD)
chili and garlic curry paste
1 can of coconut milk
garlic (diced)
fresh ginger (peeled, pounded and diced)

The spices (pepper, cumin, salt, curry powder,coriander) were toasted in the large un-oiled skillet with the intent or roasting and releasing the flavour.
The portobellos were dry roasted.
A touch of oil was added (I really dropped the ball by not having peanut or sunflower oil)
and the onions, peppers and a touch of water were added to the mix.
Following this garlic and ginger were added at this point, along with the pepper duo.
Following a quick smoke/wine drinking break chickpeas, black beans and curry paste were added.
Coconut Milk came next, with the dish being than allowed to sit and stew for about 20 minutes.
While the curry was getting more delicious by the milllisecond Nappa Cabbage (Chinese Cabbage) was diced and laid out in the shape of a circle in the middle of two glasses plates.

Finally the olfactory-pleasing and taste bud-party of a dish was ready. I almost had a seizure due to the explosions detonating in all nerve sensors - but I would rather choke on my tongue than have gone my whole life without tasting this beautiful plate of food.

I admit to enjoying another large portion today at lunch - which may have signed my death warrant - I am certain I saw the raccoon looking in the window. Oh well.

No comments: