Friday, August 24, 2007

Who Loves M.Ward? I Love M.Ward. Everyone needs to listen to M.Ward. Check out his amazing website - with the audio off to the right side.



What do you do when you are at a faculty barbecue and you get caught by your supervisor taking a photo of a stray cat?

Smile a little larger.

I had a wonderful day yesterday, and I am still trying to sort out whether it was the amazing feeling of knowing that things in Brussels are beautiful and exciting, if it was my meeting with a young boy (about 12) in the morning who introduced me to his dog: Binkey, or was it almost being able to talk a group of new friends into taking shifts as my new life coaches, or the great professional and personal chats I had with my awesome team members and extended-colleagues, or the dynamite conversation at the 'cat stalking' bbque...or the excellent later-evening I had? Whatever the reason there are little bubbles of happiness all around this sunshining city of Brussels this morning.


What could top this off?

Oh, maybe finding out that the location of my new school translates from Dutch - English as:
CAT HILL.

I suppose that days like yesterday make the bum-hole vulture like waiters all worth it. Yes, I think so.

Well, all of this wonder-world feeling can only be made more delightful by sharing a delightful Carrot-Ginger Soup that I stirred up on Wednesday night.

I found a way to incorporate my new tetra pak of Quinoa milk!!! Whoopee.

Okay - get down on this:


Ingredients (can I make the suggestion that if you live anywhere with a market? GO THERE)

1. a load of carrots (I suggest about 6 - 10 massive ones) - wash and than cube
2. 1 'thumb' of ginger (or more if you are feeling slightly more thailandish) - peel and than grate
3. 1 medium sized onion - diced
4. 1/2 cup of non-dairy milk (I used quinoa, but unless you are wicked cool and live or work on Cat Hill I have NO clue how you are going to get your hands on it)
5. Herbs - I used thyme, rosemary, oregano
6. Tomatoes (about 6, roughly sliced up)
7. Soy sauce


And than.....

Start with some soy sauce in your medium to large sized pot, which is sitting on a medium-warm burner. Add to this a touch of water and the diced onions. Let these sweat for a tiny bit and than add your ginger, herbs and tomatoes.

You can go ahead and add your carrots (and if you had a sweet potato or squash NOW would be the time to pitch that in as well). It is also at this point in the party that you want to add about 4 cups of water.

Let this simmer for about 30 - 45 minutes, until your veg are nice and squishy - poke them with a fork to make sure they are cooperating or that the gas light hasn't gone out on your stove.

My suggestion for how you might want to spend your time while this is cooking up is to do some really great online shopping. Check out: www.lululemon.com. Buy some comfy yoga clothes. Do it.

When your concoction is all nice and wobbly, turn down the heat, add your hand mixer and crank it up (warning - use a towel around the edge of your pot, or you will look like a spotted owl after getting a splash bath of your nice and lump-free carrot soup).

Add your quinoa milk and let the soup sit on low for about 7 minutes.
And than...enjoy! This was great on a rainy evening.

Yum yum!

No comments: