Wednesday, February 27, 2008


Strawberry and Tempeh Salad

Anyone who has loved me, and maybe even a couple of folks who have hated me, will tell you that when I love something (a food, a C.D., a person) I go all the way. I love the hell out of it. There have been a variety of food examples: Pickles, mushrooms, dates, all vegan items at La Luna. I lose all sense of other options existing and focus totally on whatever has taken my fancy. I must have logged over 5 marathons worth of running to Franz Ferdiand and ONLY Franz Ferdinand (right now, I can't stop working out to the older Killers disc.)

So - my recent adoration of tempeh, which, when I had it previously, only registered on the 'acceptable protein source' section of my food radar. But, since last Saturday night's recipe, I just can't stop. Tonight, I make no indication of slowing down, as I am patiently waiting to top a great looking salad with some browned tempeh.


Ingredients (all from tonight's market):

5/6 leaves from a Boston Red Lettuce
5 strawberries (no, they aren't local, but....)
1 blood orange
1/2 English cucumber
8 pieces of tempeh
1 cup of bean sprouts
1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
1 teaspoon of sesame seeds
Soy sauce - as you need/like

I added a little bit of the oil, 1/2 of the orange's juice, and loads of soy sauce to a warmed pan and let the tempeh quietly brown (can tempeh brown quietly?), and then eventually added some sesame seeds to the warmed tempeh. In a medium sized bowl I laid out the lettuce, which was torn up, the sliced strawberries, the other half of the orange, sliced. I cut the cucumber in half moons and added the bean sprouts. I had the best intention of adding an avocado to this little dinner of mine - but, the dark coloured skin betrayed me. The internal flesh was more pasty white than the bright green I was hoping for.

No comments: