Thursday, June 11, 2009

Samosas and Falafel: 1 out of 2 isn't so bad.....



I love samosas, but had never attempted to make them. So, I did last night. They were good. I used a recipe from veg.web, and I think next I might explore a different site or consult one of the billion cookbooks on my shelf - the dough was just a little too heavy for me. The filling was quite good, and I used fresh peas that I had left over from the market, but the dough just didn't seem samosatastic to me.


I also made some baked falafel. I was dying for some nummy falafel goodness, but I wasn't feeling like deep frying them. I opted to give them a good baking along with the samosas. I actually pulled out an oldie, but goodie from the shelf to make these guys. I used Mollie Katzen's recipe from 15th anniversary Moosewood Kitchen to make these, and they were darn good!

Mmmmm. I also made Roasted Asparagus and Potato Soup. This was great! I really wanted to be able to taste the asparagus, so I decided to give it about 40 minutes under the broiler before cutting it into little pieces and adding it to my soup pot. I was really happy with the end result and in my decision to add some tahini.

Roasted Asparagus and Potato Soup

9 asparagus stems (are they stems or shoots?)
5 charlotte potatoes
3 leeks (end bits only)
3 tbsp of tahini
5 cups of water

Broil your asparagus (you could also throw the potatoes in there too!), for about 45 minutes. Cut them into about 2 cm pieces. Quarter your washed potatoes, and dice your leeks. Add all ingredients to your pot, bring to boil and then let simmer.

It turned the most funky green colour! It was a great lunch the day after as well.

10 comments:

Mihl said...

My boyfriend has a Nepalese aunt who knows everything about samosas! But she rarely makes them at home. She says it is too much work and really tricky. Next time I see her I'll ask her for her trusted recipe and then send it to you!
Did you use white or green asparagus? The season over here is soon over and I haven't made anything with asparagus yet. The soup sounds delicious!

Cyn said...

Baked falafel sounds great, frying is the part I always hate about making falafel.

I've made the samosa's in Vegan with a Vengeance, and they were pretty good as I recall . . .

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about making samaosas the other day - this cold, rainy weather has me thinking about warm foods! Your soup sounds fantastic! I need to buy some asparagus before it's all gone!

Lauren said...

I love falafel!! YUM!!

Jenn Shagrin said...

Thank you! I'm going to need all the luck I can get. I woke up so sore the next morning. It's my bad, though. My gym teacher told me to always stretch before a workout, and I definitely didn't heed her advice :)

aTxVegn said...

Baked falafels sound so good. Yours look like they made excellent wraps. Asparagus soup sounds really good - I've never had it. I actually just read the other day that they are classified as stems, so you were correct!

A said...

Roasted Asparagus and Potato Soup!!!!
I am so there!
-A

meg said...

Yummy eats! It all looks delicious. I love the vegweb site.

jessy said...

i've gotta make your soup! it sounds gloriously good! sorry the dough on the samosas was a bit disappointing - but i'm glad the falafels were the nummiest! mmmmmmmmmm!

cherrybombpie said...

Baking them is so much healthier than deep frying them! Not to mention less wastage too. These look so lovely. I am craving them now as I speak ;P