Friday, January 29, 2010

Feeling Saucy



I am feeling a little saucy! Mostly because I can’t get enough of the apple sauce we keep making….I mean it. We keep making it. Every three days I run out and Kevin goes to one of the various local markets (ok, there are some things I love about Brussels), and picks up more local Belgian apples and away we go again.

It is so dead easy. Take 7 – 8 apples, core them, cut them into fours, and into the big pot they go. We add about two teaspoons of cinnamon and just enough water to stop it burning on the bottom (about 1/2 cup), and then we leave it alone for about 2 hours. Seriously – divine. No sugar, no nothing, just pure apple goodness.


I am also feeling a little saucy because I quit my job! Yes, yes, yes. I quit. I wasn’t really keen on the idea of going back to work after my year leave was up, even before Aodhan was born. But, now that he is here and we are full on with the Attachment Parenting, I can’t imagine not being with him through all the stages and changes that his childhood will bring him. Of course I am a privileged mamma who has that as an option and thank bejebus everyday for having a partner who supports this type of childcare and family love.

But the good stuff doesn’t stop there. I was thinking that even though I wouldn’t be returning to classroom, I still want to be busy and keep growing while I help mini-me grow. I was contemplating my PhD studies, I was thinking about a bunch of different things, but what really drew me was the idea of becoming a doula…and that is exactly what I have started to do. I am training through Childbirth International and I should be all trained up and ready to help babies come into the world by the time we make our next move (oh yah, we are hopefully moving….back to Canada!) in July. I really couldn’t be more excited…or sauced as the case may be

4 comments:

Catherine Weber said...

Homemade apple sauce is the best! Yum.

Congrats on the career move!

jessy said...

hooray for apple sauce! it's been ages since i've made some. i really need to once again & super soon, too! that rocks on you quitting your job & deciding to become a doula! congrats!

Mihl said...

Homemade applesauce is the best thing ever! Congrats on your job/family and career decisions

Natural Violet said...

Love the applesauce! Congrats on becoming a doula!