Monday, August 06, 2007

forests and fruits


Spent Sunday exploring some of the aspects of Brussels that Lonely Planet had threatened would be in short supply - fruit and forests.

I had a wonderful day traipsing around the south east corners of Brussels. AND! a very vegan dinner was had by all.

Fruit Salad:

2 oranges (I learned a new trick yesterday - peel the oranges, rip them into slices and than use SCISSORS to cut them into small pieces)
1 bunch of grapes (ie: as many as you would like)
2 banana
1/2 honey melon
1 quart of strawberries

Wash all fruit. Slice fruit into tiny tiny peices and toss in a large glass bowl. Allow the fruit to sit for about 3 hours in the fridge. Enjoy!

We enjoyed our salad atop a lovely little terrace.
The walk through the forest was amazingly wonderful. It made me feel as though I was at home. What it reminded me of was the walk that Keith and I took through Cathedral Grove on BC's Vancouver Island. Granted the trees weren't quite so old, nor quite so wide, they were quite massive and the canopy so high.

There were loads of families enjoying the unusually hot and dry weather. Lots of little kids streaking through the path ways, trailing screams behind them. Lots of old couples holding hands and betraying to my eye the love they still have for each other.

I took a taxi home at 11 pm, and saw Brussels in a very different way. It appeared much more......european??? Does that make sense? Something about the structures and the backlighting? Not sure what it was.

Ahhh...well. Really enjoying it here - and not having a problem being vegan at all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I make a similar fruit salad with two important differences. I use raspberries and I don't put the banana in until I serve it so it doesn't go all brown... Try this I'm sure you'll love it... the secret is the smaller the pieces the more flavour per spoonful. Kevin likes peach added to his fruit salad (just a tip).