Saturday, October 10, 2009

Vegan MoFo Day Ten: Curried Pan Fried Squash


One of the best things about the Fall is the bevy of Squash (yes, I think Squash deserves Proper Noun status). They are everywhere right now! We have seen them in various colours, sizes, shapes and flavours! I love it!

One of my favourite ways to eat Squash is by pan frying it. Ok, so not the healthiest, or most low-fat way to eat your Squash, but you have to be naughty once and a while (and you will of course notice the bed of spinach underneath). For this particular treat (which I made during our internet down time) I went with curry spices, but you can do just about any combo of spiceygoodness with your fried Squash.

Num Num!

1/2 butternut squash - cut into chunks after the laborious work of peeling it
1/2 yellow onion - diced
2 tbsp of oil (I used olive oil)
curry spices

This isn't hard to prepare at all. Heat your skillet, add your oil, spices and onions. Let the onions turn transluscent before adding your squash. Add your squash and any water you need to keep things cooking, without sticking. I like to let mine get nice and crispy before serving. You could of course do this whole thing in the oven....but it doesn't taste quite the same. I served this with some Seaseme Flavoured Spinach and a Pumpkin Patty.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

YUM! Simple and delicious!! :)

jessy said...

oh my goondess - your pan fried curry squash looks so delicious and comforting - so perfect for fall! hooooooooray! i can't believe i've never thought to pan fry squash or combine it with curry. i can't wait to try out your recipe! mmmmmmmmm!