Monday, January 21, 2008

Looking, today, at some of my previous posts, made me realize that I needed to spend a post or two on some updates. The first update is that I am tickled to mention that my secret wishes for the Matt and Nat Depeche Mode were brought to life by my loving sister Emily, who only added to the super thoughtful (and fantastically stylish) gift by chalking it full of my all time favourite Body Shop scent - Cranberry. I love bath time. And...I don't smell so bad in the morning - even after my a.m. workout.

The vegan delights of the holiday season hardly stopped there. My mom and dad were thinking with their European thinking caps on when they purchased for me the only footwear truly accepted in Brussels - Boots. Vegan boots from Vegetarian Shoes - thanks mom! They fit just fine and have already taken me to school on more than one occasion.

Hmmm...I also have to share a new/old dish that I have played with a couple of times since getting back. It is an oldie, but goodie - that I haven't made for ages, and that I added white beans to this evening, opting to forgo the 6 dollar bottle of chickpeas at Tsampa. This dish was originally invented by Nicola and served to myself and Lisa one rainy night whilst lesson planning and hanging out with Sunday. It was a brilliant dish, and I have been trying to recreate the yummie goodness, but, alas...I don't think those stars will ever align. Find my try just below.

1 can of white beans (or chick peas)
1 onion - sliced
4 carrots - halved and then sliced thinly, but not so thin as to rob the sticks of their staying power.
1 clove of garlic
1 thumb of ginger - diced
olive oil/sesame oil
soy sauce
Japanese vinegar
spinach (tonight I was sans spinach, so I just served the cook bit on a bed of organic boston lettuce)
dates
pumpkin seeds
sesame seeds

I cooked off the onion for about 20 minutes, using the olive oil as my non-stick base. I added the carrots and some dates and let it cook for about another 10 minutes. I chucked in everything else and let it sit for about 20 minutes.

1 comment:

Kelly Hevel said...

Hey there cowgirl! Remember me? You checked out my blog, oh, a few months ago, and I promised to link to you next time I updated my template which was-- today!

Sounds like all is well in Brussels. I certainly can't complain about life in Istanbul! All the best!