Monday, May 05, 2008




I needed a little something sweet to follow up the stir fry I whipped up after my run tonight. I found inspiration in the expiry date on my package of soft tofu. It was now or never, and I wasn't one to let things go to waste. I grabbed myself the bushel of rhubarb in the bottom of the fridge and went to town. I ended up with a absolutely delicious, and looked super cute in my new blue cups. It gets even cooler - the recipe is sugar-free and free of any added fat (the tofu is bound to have a skinny bit of fat). Run out to the market and get yourself some rhubarb and don't forget the tofu. Go, go, go.


Months Before Race Day Rhubarb

Ingredients:
-1 bushel of rhubarb - cut into 1 inch bits
-1 pack of soft tofu
-1 tablespoon of vanilla + 1 tablespoon of vanilla
-juice of one orange (1/2 + 1/2)
-1 tablespoon of agave syrup
-1 handful of oats

How To:
I cut the rhubarb and threw it into the pot with some water and the juice from half the orange. I set it to stew for about 35 minutes. I added the tablespoon of vanilla about half way through the cooking time. In a medium glass bowl I whizzed up the tofu, orange juice, vanilla and agave. When the rhubarb was done I split it between the two glasses, added the whizzed up (and totally wonderful on its own) tofu cream and topped it off with a handful of oats. Oh my.

In other news, I am reading an excellent book: The Behaviour of Moths by Poppy Adams. Really well written text. The sentences are nicely stitched together.

4 comments:

J said...

What a great way to save food that's on it's way out!

I rarely throw anything away, but when I do, I feel so bad! I almost can't bring myself to do it sometimes. But when something is moldy and beyond saving, what can you do? I really wish I could compost or vermicompost. Damn apartment living.

Bianca said...

I've never cooked with rhubarb. I've had someone else's vegan strawberry and rhubarb pie once and it was tasty. I should try this!

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

Wow that looks awesome! Such a pretty color, too.

VeganCowGirl said...

Hey Jennifer, I feel the same way about dastardly apartment living. I miss my composter, which EVERYONE has in Toronto - apartment or not. It is a great municipal plan that works so well.

Bianca - this dish was so super duper easy and by FAR the yummiest I have ever had.