Monday, July 07, 2008

Blueberry What????



goodness to share from the kitchen of this The weekend has been packed, quite literally, with all things Ikea. Being the super geeks we are, we, of course, moved most of our books over to our new home before even considering much else. Given the shifting and moving of the weekend days, there is very little home cooked goodness coming out of the kitchen of this vegancowgirl. To be honest, it was K who came up with the spledtastic meal this weekend. Despite having heaved and lugged two billion gallons of science text books down some stairs, into our car and into the new home, his muscles were still coerced into stirring up a fantastic squash and cauliflower curry. It was gobbled up to plate licking standards while we finished off the last ten minutes of Sunset Boulevard...if I ever look like Norma Desmond please, please send me off to some really cozy hospital.

Some other foodies moments from the weekend included my breakfast option for Saturday morning, not oatmeal....no, not toast. A little Swedish gem we picked up at Ikea on Friday night. K was super happy with himself when he came trotting over to me with a carton of BLUEBERRY SOUP in his hand. The best part was the ingredients list: Water, Sugar, Blueberries, thickening agent. And the warning: this product contains 6.3 % blueberries....it didn't take long to convince me of the truth in this bio hazard warning...it tasted of pure sugar. I ended up slicing up the last mango for Saturday morning treats...leaving the blueberry soup for K to experiment with.



Apparently my fruittastic frenzy wasn't quite complete, yesterday, given that we have a couple of root veg in the fridge and not much more, we stopped at a local, but never before visited (for breakie) cafe and I grabbed a fruit salad...which K admonished for its monochromatic behaviours....I didn't complain. In fact, I quite liked it.


But, it really was his curry that put all other food stuff to shame. It was amazing rich, without being heavy or gross. I helped dice the squash, while he made flavour magic. I am pretty sure he included: butternut squash, onion, red curry paste, coconut milk, coriander, cauliflower and some tomatoes. Amazing stuff. I am the luckiest girl in the world.


In other important world news...it is two weeks until my thirtieth birthday! My mom sent a gift, but has left it in K's good keeping...it taunts me every time I pass by the fire place, where it sits perched - pretty with its silver wrapping and perfect tape job. Damn it. It is also t-minus 13 days and counting until we load up and head for our 12 hour drive across the continent to ITALY! I can NOT wait.......

4 comments:

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

craziness!! I've had that very same blueberry soup sitting in my cupboard for maybe... 2 years now? I got it for christmas as a joke. Mad!

also, that curry looks/sounds amazing, you *are* a lucky girl!

Bianca said...

You are lucky! That curry looks fantastic! If I asked my boyfriend to cook for me, he'd laugh and ask how I like my steak...yup. That's what I have to deal with in omni boyfriend-land. Oh well...

Anonymous said...

Happy almost birthday - 30 is a real turning point. At least it was for me - now I will be turning 40 in September but I don't feel it. I feel so much better. More like 30!. I wish I had felt this good in my twenties. That's what a veg diet can do for you - makes you feel younger!

VeganCowGirl said...

YES! I love that the soup has left the continent and found a home in your pantry too! Whoopppe. Thanks Liz, hope commune life is treating you well.

Thanks Bianca. Can't help but love the omni boys....they are cute in their meaty kind of way. :)

Thanks Nikki...I can't wait for my b-day. Happy 40th to you in September!! Give it up for Vegan birthdays.