Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Pantastic Canada Day Pancakes




My Canada Day was over six hours before my family's but that doesn't mean that we didn't celebrate in style! To commemorate the wonderfully multicultural world of urbanized Canada we had a great dinner last night, which was topped off with my own little edible pillar of honour - "to the lumber jacks" I say!

Pausing for a moment of nostalgia....I remember with the clarity watching the Logdriver's Waltz 'cartoon short' that CBC played during the 80s in their never ending attempt to convince the general public that we are considerate of all that has come before. It was always on between The Raccoons en Francais and Mr. Dress Up. For those of you who are in need of a refresher course on this little icon of Canadiana, or for those of you who are marrying your favourite Canadian vegan next year and need a little introduction (the lyrics to this song will be on the Canadian Citizenship quiz....) here you go!

Edit:
Here is a little addition....
K sent me this little survey from the Globe and Mail.....see how you do!


K's Great Canadian Stir Fry
-Carrots
-Tofu (which he managed to crisp up superbly)
-sprouted: chickpeas, adzuki beans, peas
-diced onion
-mushrooms



After his fancy stirfrying styles, K popped his allotment into two tortilla shells (I suppose in an attempt to continue his mirroring of Canadian cultural inclusion), while I just enjoyed mine with a crispy rice cake on the side. Please excuse the sewing machine in picture.....the apartment is officially in moving-nightmare status.

L's Pantastic Myrtle Topped Pancakes
-1 cup of 100% whole wheat flour
-2 tsp of baking powder
-2 tbsp of veg. oil
-pinch of salt
-1 tbsp of cane sugar
-1 cup of soy milk
- water as needed
-1 pint of blueberries (myrtles - the French word is just so much better...yes, K, I know I spelt it wrong...again, just cuter....I will appropriate and meld as I please...this post is celebrating Canada after all).

These turned out better than I was hoping for (after a couple of pancake disasters earlier this year). I suppose the stars aligned, and with a miracle similar to the one I hope Dione is granted this fall when, according to Mansbridge et all, we will see another election, I made a delightful and delicious stack of whole wheat yumminess! Tahhhh Dahhhhh!!!! (Who says you can't have your breakfast for dessert?)


5 comments:

aTxVegn said...

The pancakes and berries are just lovely. Happy Canada Day!

Anonymous said...

I love your Canada Day festivities - looks great. You know there seem to be quite a few Canadian vegans - I think that's groovy. But of course you are in Belgium so you are Internationally vegan!

Rural Vegan said...

Heh, I thought the title was "Plastic Canada Day Pancakes". I like your version much better!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

oh, that video takes me back! and beautiful pancakes, I like the logging thematic. :D

Anonymous said...

The Logdriver's Waltz! Oh that takes me back to my youth...
Sounds like you had a great Canada Day!